Mercy Corps announces vacancy forField Manager / Agriculture Specialist . Interested candidates can apply for the job. Read the full article below for the job details.
Knowledge and Experience
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree, in an agriculture or economic development related field.
- Must have a minimum of 8 years professional experience working on similar, large-scale, donor-funded agriculture development projects, preferably in Nepal; at least 4 years of progressive senior management experience on same projects.
- Must have proven experience managing large teams and coordinating effectively with multiple partners and stakeholder groups.
- Must have specific technical skills and significant experience with agriculture systems, with a good understanding of both the production and the market sides.
- Preferred experience in climate smart agriculture (CSA) and conservation agriculture (CA) approaches, including a familiarity with related initiatives in Nepal.
- Good understanding of basic nutrition requirements to be embedded within agriculture programs
- Ability to write and communicate effectively in English.
- Understanding of local structures and processes in Nepal; understanding of current agriculture related Government policies and programs is also desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with national level ministries, NGO partners, international agencies, and U.S. government agencies
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills; excellent advocacy and persuasion skills; able to think critically.
- Demonstrated skills in capacity building, mentoring, leadership, and organizational development.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Ensure clear, consistent vision behind the technical design is articulated and rolled out across the team.
- Lead agriculture sector activities under the program (in coordination with program partners and staff) and facilitate integration within other targeted sectors.
- Develop detailed program work plans, approaches and relevant tools based on overall strategy (theory of change, pathways, approaches) for agriculture; and agribusiness.
- Lead, in collaboration with the Programme Manager,, the development of an activities plan, targets and processes on interdependencies of agriculture with other technical areas, primarily with agribusiness, local cooperatives, and nutrition.
- Develop standard operating guidelines (SOG) for use of field staff and partners for each of the major interventions of agriculture (i.e. permagardens, home gardens ).
- Develop strategy for hitting targets for various activities in the agriculture sector and specifically identify milestones for each year.
- Train and build the capacity of field staff and partners to ensure consistent delivery of focused agriculture interventions.
- Support M&E team in developing MIS for agriculture and identify action researches that will help to identify efficiency of agriculture implementation.
- Serve as a focal person for problem solving at regional level.
- Provide and/or identify technical support and resources in agronomy, market assessments, cooperative sector and private sector engagement
- Lead in managing MERCY CORPS field staff, national partners, and district implementation teams through agriculture technical working groups
- Ensure uniformity and standardization between consortium members.
- Develop systems of reporting, monitoring and targeting in consultation with the M&E team.
COORDINATION AND REPRESENTATION
- Develop scope of work and major milestones in collaboration with each respective partner to facilitate an enabling environment, including targets, program quality parameters and DIP for each partner’s activities.
- Identify and build relationships with private sector partners.
- Provide technical support to partners at the district level and across all project sectors.
- Build the capacity of agriculture partners in market system development.
- Under the leadership of the Programme Manager, coordinate linkages with the project’s agriculture focused local implementing partners through established systems and processes.
- Share learning with the similar community within Nepal as well as regionally and globally as relevant.
FINANCIAL AND OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT
- Manage the procurement plan and any other operational planning needs in coordination with the Programme Manager and Procurement Specialist.
- Participate and co-lead BVA meetings with the Programme Manager.
- Manage project agriculture budget for each specific activity and ensure timely procurement of materials and service.
- Monitor quality adherence to grant and sub grants agreements, Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations.
TEAM MANAGEMENT & CAPACITY STRENGTHENING
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach programme objectives.
- Ensure systematic roll-out of agriculture trainings.
- Play an active role in providing regular mentoring support to the program field team.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to local partner staff, MC staff and community stakeholders on the implementation of the activities.
- Identify technical skills gaps of project staff to provide necessary support through training, workshops, and materials as per need.
- Regularly convene partners and Mercy Corps team to monitor progress against project milestones and share lessons learned.
- Senior Technical Officers, Also manages HGSF field level staff based in Dhangadhi and programme implementation areas
- Reports Directly to: This position reports directly to the Programme Manager
- Works Directly with: HGSF Programme Team, MEL Specialist, Monitoring and Data Management Assistant, Procurement Specialist, MC Dhangadhi finance and Operations team, Mercy Corps Nepal’s operations, HR, finance and other program teams; Mercy Corps’ HQ teams including technical advisors in cash and governance, gender, protection, and M&E. Additionally communicates with Funding Partner (WFP) in matters related to HGSF implementation.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Nepal since 2005, implementing programs in food security, agriculture, market development, financial services, youth engagement, climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction. We take a systems-based approach in our programming, with the aim of improving the lives and potential of vulnerable individuals and communities across Nepal.
Application Deadline: Friday 9th June, 2023