Connecting to your dream company has now become much easier with the use & popularity of social media. Job seekers’ visibility in social sites is really a plus point in job search. At the same time, social media can also be a reason behind your rejection if not handled carefully. Recruiters are showing high concern regarding job seekers’ networking and connections in various activities through social media.
Since recruiters are aware of your presence in every social sites, it’s very important that you manage your profile well enough, tailoring to the career you want to pursue. Ignorance to this might lead recruiters to make a wrong judgment about you. Try to make best possible use of social media in your job search process by selecting appropriate content for your profile.
It’s up to you to make a way to the best career option by ensuring that your social profiles are adequately utilized to showcase the best of you. You have the power to drag recruiter’s attention to your skills and abilities with careful branding of your social profile. To make the best use of your social media involvement in your job search process, keep in mind the following basics.
How to Use Social Media for
Your Job Search
Keep it Simple
- Use simple profile names for all your social media profiles. It’s always good to use your full name as a profile name.
- It is always best to use same name for all your social media profiles. This will help to reduce confusion among the recruiters.
- Do not post any misleading media items that are irrelevant to the job you are looking for.
Filter your Content
- Add your testimonials, project reports & research works in relevant social media sites. This will help the recruiters to judge and connect to you in a better and faster way.
- Remove all the old contents that do not add any weight to your profile in the eyes of the recruiter.
- Ensure that your profile has enough keywords so that recruiters can connect to you.
- Limit the amount of information you share on your profile. Remove ill fitted posts.
- Connect to friends, alumni, colleagues regularly to stay updated with the happenings in your field.
- Follow professionals, companies, public figure of your area of interest.
- Try to link with industry people, groups and involve in events of your field.
- Make a habit of doing research on the activities of various companies. This will help you to get a clear idea on where you can fit into.
- Follow various job boards, career pages, company pages to get regular information on the industry demand.
Whichever media you use, be it Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or any other, you need to highlight what you are looking for so that the recruiters can track you. Contents in your social media profile should adequately highlight your need for the job along with your expertise in the field of your interest.
Research plays an important role in determining the level of response you get from the recruiter. Be well informed of all the industry related news to have a better understanding of the market trend. This will help you to identify the invisible errors you are making in your job search.
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. all are equally used by the recruiters in identifying the probable resource for their company. You need to carefully identify the media being used by the industry you are in and show an appropriate presence over there.